Friday, May 29, 2009

The Watergate Scandal


For the Found Art Project, my group chose to cover the infamous Watergate scandal. We found this topic to be intriguing because it is an important part of American History in that it is the only time a president has resigned, and also because we found this topic interesting.


When we chose the specific pieces of found art for this project, we wanted the items to either be directly related to the topic(i.e. a tape recorder and tapes) or to be indirectly related to the topic via some sort of symbolism(i.e. a magnifying glass to represent investigation). In the end, we had many different pieces of found art, and in fact, more than we could fit on our boxes.


When allocating our found art pieces, we found that the majority of them could be found right in our own houses. I personally found five pieces of relevant found art just searching through my garage. When there was anything we couldn't find at our own houses, we were able to secure it at relatives' houses too. The only problem was that it was sometimes hard to find some of the more uncommon pieces of found art we needed(such as lockpicking tools).


If I could do something differently with my Found Art Project, I would have tried to find more found art earlier because our group had to rush a little bit during the last week of the project to ensure that we had an abundant supply of found art pieces.

If I could give advice to the next group of students to do the Found Art Project, I would advise them to A) pick at topic that interests them and is not too ambiguous or unknown and B) make sure the final product is visually appealing and can relate to the chosen topic.

14 comments:

  1. Interesting topic to choose. I was surprised that you found objects for this topic since it seems really difficult to do so. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niiiice pic at the start engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very good topic, love the comic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite part of this post was the picture. I think it was a comical representation of the struggle the president had with the Watergate trial. I like the advice you gave for the students of next year aswell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice idea, it seems many people did this topic but few of them tried to put as much meaning into each found art as you guys did. I bet your project looked great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your suggestion to get found art early because ten items are actually hard to get if you are doing a specific topic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An interesting topic on the Watergate Scandal. It's cool that you were able to find so many items that some couldn't even be used.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty good job finding all the material in your own home(s).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great posting, the picture helps to recognize your found art project in the library, this is a very good thing!
    I think you had a great idea in using both direct and symbolic found art, in this way the project looks very original.
    You picked a very "hot" topic, I would like having had the possibility to hear your presentation in person, even if in this blog I can guess how it was: good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow i didn't know you could find this many materials!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this topic! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice Job! You had creative ideas for found art items such as the ones that symbolized your topic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the picture at the beginning. We had similar problems with the found art. The representative items such as the magnifying glass representing investigation is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you found items that indirectly tied into your topic; this really shows how well you knew it!

    ReplyDelete